On Jan. 3, an elderly driver lost control of his car and swerved into Sahm’s Place at 65th Street and Keystone Avenue, injuring one of the workers.
While this could have happened to anyone, CICOA reports that older adults often have driving difficulties because reflexes slow with age. Sight and hearing often become impaired.
A partial checklist to help caregivers decide when a loved one is a danger on the road includes:
1. Driving makes your loved one nervous and anxious.
2. Your loved one often becomes disoriented about where he or she is in relation to home when driving.
3. Your loved one backs into and over things such as curbs.
4. Your loved one has mistaken the gas for the brake.
5. A police officer has given your loved one a warning because of poor driving behavior.
You must be logged in to post a comment.